Writing Archives

What Should You Do If You Feel Invisible And Insignificant?

Monday, September 19, 2016
Also known as "Who cares about this silent despair?"

It begins with a sigh and a frown.

“Hey, what’s wrong?” she asks. She looks genuinely and sincerely concerned.

“Nothing.” You shake your head, unwilling to believe that anyone would actually care about you and what you feel.

“You shouldn’t lie, you know, not when it’s so obvious. I can see right through you,” she responds, smiling slightly.

dark, depressing themes, philosophical musings, writing, short story, feeling invisible, alone, insignificant, does anyone care
“Does it matter?”

“Why shouldn’t it?” she asks with a frown as if she can’t understand why you’re being like this.

“Who cares anyway?”

She sighs. “Look, you-”

You shake your head, sighing as well. “Don’t. Just, drop it, okay? It doesn’t matter.”

She refuses to leave though. “Hey, you know, someone does care.”

Your surprise knows no bounds with how noticeable it is. “Yeah, who?” You refuse to acknowledge the hopeful tone in your voice.

She smiles. “Me.”

You stare in disbelief. Then, you laugh, unable to comprehend this, thinking it’s nothing but a joke. You shake your head. “You shouldn’t lie, you know.”

She raises an eyebrow as her words are thrown right back at her. “I do care.”

“No, you don’t. No one does. My words, my voice, they all flow and fly away like the water and the wind because I’m invisible and no one sees me. No one listens or hears no matter how loud I speak.”

She sighs yet again. “So, you don’t want to do this anymore?”

“No.” You pause, biting your lip and then hurriedly say, “I’m scared. To let go. I’m afraid. What’s on the other side?”

She smiles then shrugs. “Who knows?” She stretches out a hand towards you. “Do you want to come with me?”

You frown, hesitating. “I- I don’t know...”

She shrugs again. “Well, it’s your choice.”

You deliberate for what seems like an eternity. “I- it doesn’t matter, right? Because no one cares, right?” Even you don’t know what you’re looking for or what you’re asking and the uncertainty is visible in your eyes. “I speak and I write and I am, here but no one sees, listens, hears or understands. There is nothing but darkness and silence and despair.”

“Hmm. Then, you will come?”

“Why not? Who will stop me?” You take hold of her hand.

She smiles at you, holding your hand tightly, not letting go and pulling you towards her until it feels like you’re falling.

It ends with yet another sigh and a smile, frozen on your lips.



*Notes:
- Image with added text was modified by Freya Yuki (CC:BY-SA) based on the image by hayashinomura (CC:BY-SA) from deviantArt
- Image of figure with outstretched hand is meant to represent the woman in the story who also held out her hand to the other character
- YouTube video features a song entitled “Invisible” by Hunter Hayes

Share your thoughts and opinions by commenting below:
To comment as a guest or anonymously: Select the discussion then the name textbox. Put a check on the "I'd rather post as guest" checkbox and you can submit your comment without logging in or creating an account.
By leaving a comment, you agree to the comment guidelines.