Writing Archives

What Are You Afraid Of?

Wednesday, February 22, 2017
“Hey, exactly how long are you gonna keep staring at that?”

“What?”

“You heard me.”

“What’s it to you? Does it matter?”

“Of course, it does. You’re wasting time, you know? Just open it already. Go on, get to it.”

“But I don’t want to.”

“Do you really expect me to believe that? Are you telling me that you aren’t the least bit curious about this? Don’t you want to know what’s inside this envelope? Don’t you want to see the answers, the results?”

“Well, yes, but, I’m scared.”

dark, depressing themes, philosophical musings, writing, short story
It's so easy to say, 'don't be afraid,' but it's just not
that easy. I'm really scared and I don't know how
or where to find the courage to overcome this fear

“See, I told you- wait, what? You’re what now?”

“I’m scared.”

“Of what? What’s there to be afraid of? Gracious, it’s just a package, an envelope. It’s not going to bite.”

“I know that. I mean that I want to know. But I don’t want to either. I’m just- I’m afraid, okay? I’m scared of what I’ll see when I open this. I’m scared of what I’ll find out.”

“Don’t be scared, all right? Have courage.”

“Where do I get that?”

“What?”

“Courage. Where can I get some? It’s easy to say ‘don’t be afraid,’ but I just can’t help it. I am scared. Very much so. Even if it might seem strange or weird, I just am. What do you want me to do?”

“You know what you should do. Overcome your fear then just open the package already.”

“I can’t do it. I just can’t. I’m scared.”

“Yes, I know. You said that already. You keep repeating your words.”

“Because you’re not listening. Just go away. Leave me alone. Who cares anyway? Who cares if I’m feeling like this? No one does. So don’t pretend that you do.”

*Notes:
- Scared Anime girl art print on canvas pic is from Amazon.com
- Pic is meant to represent the character in the story who is feeling scared

Share your thoughts and opinions by commenting below:
To comment as a guest or anonymously: Select the discussion then the name textbox. Put a check on the "I'd rather post as guest" checkbox and you can submit your comment without logging in or creating an account.
By leaving a comment, you agree to the comment guidelines.