Writing Archives

Does It Matter If You Talk Too Much?

Monday, March 06, 2017
“I swear, I can’t do it. I just can’t. I keep trying, but I can’t.”

“Can’t do what?”

“I mean, I try and I try and I try some more, but still, I just can’t do it. It’s like all my efforts amount to nothing, nothing at all.”

“What is it? Don’t panic, okay? Just calm down. Now, tell me what’s wrong?”

“I just can’t be brevity even if my life depended on it. It’s terrible and absolutely frustrating.”

“You can’t be what now? What did you just say?”

“Brevity. You know, what William Shakespeare said in that play of his. Hamlet, I think. He said and I quote, ‘Brevity is the soul of wit’.”
short story, dialogue-only, philosophical musings, creative writing
“Oh, that. You used that word incorrectly in your previous sentence.”

“I don’t care. Stop laughing. Ugh, forget how I used the word. You get my point, don’t you? I can’t be brief and concise and short no matter how much I try and try. I still end up saying a whole litany of things.”

“That’s because you like to ramble on and on and on.”

“Hey, you make it sound like such a bad thing. Oh no, it is bad, isn’t it? What do I do? Make it stop, please.”

“There’s nothing wrong with that. Not much anyway, not when you’re talking about important stuff. Just take it easy, okay? And stop worrying over crazy things like this. This shouldn’t even be an issue.”

“Well, yeah, but- I get the feeling no one wants to listen to me and I feel invisible and alone and-”

“Oh, honestly, I’m here, aren’t I? And I’m listening to you. I always listen even if you drive me crazy. What more do you want?”

*Notes:
- Two people walking and talking art print on canvas pic is from Amazon.com
- Pic is meant to represent the two people in the story who are also talking

Share your thoughts and opinions by commenting below:
To comment as a guest or anonymously: Select the discussion then the name textbox. Put a check on the "I'd rather post as guest" checkbox and you can submit your comment without logging in or creating an account.
By leaving a comment, you agree to the comment guidelines.