Writing Archives

Where Is The Place Where You Belong?

Thursday, January 05, 2017
philosophical musings, short stories, writing, anime, movie, children who chase lost voices
“Welcome back. How was your trip? You’ve been gone for a long time now.”

“Fine.”

“Is that so?”

“Yeah.”

“Did you find what you’re looking for?”

“No.”

“Come on, what’s the matter with you? You keep giving one-word answers. You could at least elaborate. What happened? And what do you mean that you didn’t find what you were looking for?”

“I didn’t find it.”

“And then?”

“Then what?”

“You’re still being stingy with your words. Explain further, man. Speak up, will you?”

“What do you want me to say? That I had fun? That it was the best trip ever? That I’m so happy and that I found what I’m looking for? Well, keep hoping because none of that happened.”

“Uh-”

“I scoured and searched the entire world, went from place to place, city to city, country to country, met so many different people, seen so many different things and yet I still haven’t found it. I still haven’t found the place where I belong. I’m beginning to believe that there is no such thing. Looks like I belong nowhere.”

“Oh, man. Haven’t you realized it yet?”

“What are you talking about? Are you mocking me?”

“No. I mean, you do belong somewhere.”

“Where? And how do you know?”

“I’ve always known. I was hoping you would get it after going on your soul-searching trip.”

“What exactly am I supposed to get?”

“The answer to your question.”

“Which is?”

“You belong here.”

“Wh-what?”

“Here. Home. This is where you belong. You can travel anywhere you want and stay away as long as you like, but you’re always welcome back home.”

*Notes:
- Pic is a screenshot from the Children Who Chase Lost Voices anime from Amazon.com

Share your thoughts and opinions by commenting below:
To comment as a guest or anonymously: Select the discussion then the name textbox. Put a check on the "I'd rather post as guest" checkbox and you can submit your comment without logging in or creating an account.
By leaving a comment, you agree to the comment guidelines.