Writing Archives

Depression: What It Means To Be Alive?

Friday, November 18, 2016
“Looking at this beautiful scenery. It makes me feel melancholy. The world looks so perfect when seen through this rose-colored glasses. It’s like I’m looking at an illusion. Sometimes, I wonder if I really exist.”

“What are you talking about? Of course, you exist. You’re not making sense.”

“Do I really? Exist, I mean. It doesn’t feel that way. Sometimes, I have to wonder if I’m even still alive. It hurts. I feel depressed and alone. I feel invisible and insignificant. It’s like I don’t matter, like no one will care if I’m not here anymore. Sometimes, I want to just give up and say goodbye. Why am I still here?”

philosophical musings, dark, depressing themes, story, writing
“You feel pain? You said ‘it hurts’.”

“Yes, it does. It hurts so much that I don’t know how much more I can take.”

“You’re crying.”

“Because it hurts.”

“That settles it then.”

“What?”

“You exist, you’re alive. You’re here, right now.”

“What do you mean?”

“If you feel pain, sorrow, hurt, anguish, depression, despair, loneliness, doesn’t that mean that you’re alive?”

“Is that what it means to be alive? I’m not sure I like that.”

*Notes:
- Depression poster is from Amazon.com

Share your thoughts and opinions by commenting below:
To comment as a guest or anonymously: Select the discussion then the name textbox. Put a check on the "I'd rather post as guest" checkbox and you can submit your comment without logging in or creating an account.
By leaving a comment, you agree to the comment guidelines.