Writing Archives

This Broken Reflection Is Nothing But An Elusive Lie

Monday, December 12, 2016
“Hey, don’t ever be sad, please. I’m here for you, you know? Always. I care about you. You’re not alone. Please, don’t forget that.” The voice sounded so inviting and sincere and nice.

She looked up at that, smiling sadly, teary-eyed, but said nothing. She looked skeptical.

“It’s true. Believe me. I’m not lying. I swear, I’m not. Talk to me. Tell me your problems. I am here, I will listen. Always.”

She bit her lip, longing to believe the voice, but still looking unconvinced.

“Come on now, you know I’m not lying. Why would I lie to you? You’re special, you know? Just give it time. Everything will be okay. You’ll see. Don’t give up, okay? Will you let me give you a hug? You wish to be held, right? Don’t worry, I won’t mock you or make fun of you. Cry as much as you want to. Hug me tightly. Let yourself feel reassured and safe.”

dark, depressing themes, philosophical musings, short story. writing
Her eyes glittered and tears fell down her face. She ran to hug the voice, her arms outstretched.

And she promptly crashed straight into a mirror.

She blinked, staring at it.

Her reflection stared back at her.

She gasped as realization hit her.

She opened her mouth then screamed, now crying and sobbing loudly. She clenched her fist then moved it to punch the mirror. It shattered into a million pieces, broken beyond repair.

But she couldn’t bring herself to care as she collapsed on the floor and cried her heart out, wishing that it hadn’t been a lie and that there really had been someone there for her.

*Notes:
- Broken reflection anime poster is from Amazon.com

Share your thoughts and opinions by commenting below:
To comment as a guest or anonymously: Select the discussion then the name textbox. Put a check on the "I'd rather post as guest" checkbox and you can submit your comment without logging in or creating an account.
By leaving a comment, you agree to the comment guidelines.