Writing Archives

Melancholy Melody

Tuesday, December 06, 2016
“Wow, it’s beautiful. It sounds so spectacular and amazing. So, this is where that lovely sound was coming from. I didn’t know you could play the violin.”

dark, depressing themes, short story, writing, philosophical musings
“Oh, it’s you. It’s actually a Stradivarius.”

“Huh, I see. Okay, then. You’re an awesome Stradivarius player.”

“Thank you. Do you really think so?”

“‘Course I do. Why would I lie?… Although…”

“Hmm? What is it?”

“Well, I was thinking- I mean, uh, why don’t you play something else?”

“What? What’s wrong with what I’m playing?”

“Nothing. Nothing at all, really. It’s very nice. It sounds so awesome and magnificent and out-of-this-world. I mean it. No lies. You composed it yourself, right?”

“Yes. So, what’s wrong with it then? How am I supposed to believe your earlier words of praise if you don’t even want to listen to what I’m currently playing on my Stradivarius?”

“Look, I didn’t mean it that way. It just came out wrong- my words, I mean. But your playing, nothing’s wrong with that. Swear.”

“Then why did you want me to play something else?”

“Because- I mean, this one sounds really sad and bittersweet and melancholy. It’s really kinda depressing actually. I feel like crying when I listen to it. There’s a haunting, tragic tone to it. Can’t you play something happier?”

“I don’t have any.”

“Huh? Don’t have any what?”

“I don’t have anything ‘happier,’ as you so nicely put it.”

“Oh, come on. I don’t mean to offend. Really, I don’t. Don’t get mad, please. What’s wrong anyway? Can’t we talk about it?”

“Not right now, no. Maybe not ever. Just go away and leave me to play my Stradivarius in peace.”

*Notes:
- Your Lie In April anime poster is from Amazon.com

Share your thoughts and opinions by commenting below:
To comment as a guest or anonymously: Select the discussion then the name textbox. Put a check on the "I'd rather post as guest" checkbox and you can submit your comment without logging in or creating an account.
By leaving a comment, you agree to the comment guidelines.